The Public Interest Disclosure Commissioner is independent from government and government institutions and is an officer of the provincial legislative assembly.
The Commissioner can:
• Provide advice to public servants and Designated Officers regarding wrongdoings.
• Resolve complaints
• Refer matters to other oversight bodies or other independent offices (e.g. Provincial Auditor)
• Refer matters to government or to government institutions
• Investigate matters and make recommendations to government
• Publicly report on his office’s activities
What action the Commissioner will take will depend on the case and the facts of the case. When advice is sought or a disclosure is made to the Commissioner it will be assessed to determine what the best course of action should be.Top of Page